Non-NHS Work

Medical examinations and certificates for certain items are not covered by the NHS and attract a special fee to be paid by the patient. These include:

  • Driving (HGV, PSV, Elderly)
  • Sports medical
  • Life assurance
  • Employment examinations
  • Insurance claims
  • School certificates
  • Letters re housing


If you are unable to work please obtain a Self-Certificate either from your employer or from the practice. This certificate will cover you for sickness for 6 working days. If your employer will not accept a self-certificate please ask your doctor for a private certificate, which will involve a payment.

If you are unable to return to work following the 6 days please make an appointment to see a Doctor with a view to obtaining a further certificate.